Keeping Up With The Jacksons

What you wanted to know to stay-up-to-date with us Crazy Jacksons!

Where We've Been and What We've Been Up To

By Thursday, March 06, 2014 , , , , , , , , ,

You know I started this blog so our family could keep up with what we were up, but seeing as I'm not very good at updating this ol' blog of mine, they can't really do that. It's a good thing a lot of them are on Facebook and can see daily snippets of our lives and that we talk to each other, otherwise our family would be completely in the dark. But, we've had a lot of changes since I last posted and it's high time I get back to posting.

So let's take it one family member at a time, shall we?

TJ

So what has TJ been up to, you ask? Well, school, school and more school. Seriously! That guy is either at school and in class, at school working on homework or student films, or at home in his man cave working on homework or student films. I'm amazed at how he's progressed and grown in what will be his career. It's hard to believe that in one year (plus a week), he will officially be done with school. It's so exciting and a little scary at the same time. 

He's reached the point in school, where he has to start researching different film companies to see what might be a good fit for him. He's looking up post production companies in Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta and Boston. Boston is purely for me. Neither one of us think he'll find very many companies there but he agreed to appease me and try. Plus, he's been to Boston too and really does like it. You can begin praying now that Boston is where we need to be. 

Aside from all the school work and student films, TJ is pretty much relaxing around the house. And helping out when I need it of course…..well almost. ;)


Dylan

Dylan is doing what every other 8 year old boy does. Going to school, riding bikes, playing video games, you know all the normal boy stuff. He's doing pretty well in school. Last 9 weeks, Dylan was named the Most Improved Student in 3rd Grade in Music. He was so surprised and the look on his face when he was announced was priceless.



He also made honor roll with all A's and 1 B, but this 9 weeks his grades aren't as high; however his teacher is confident that it's because they haven't had very many yet and that he'll bring it up in no time. Of course that was a few weeks ago. The end of the 9 weeks is Friday so when he comes back from Spring Break, we should get his report cards. And speaking of Spring Break, his starts next week and he'll go back Tuesday the 18th (they always have St. Patrick's Day off because of how big it is here). 

For Christmas, the kids got bikes for Christmas, and if you know Dylan, you know at 8 years old he still didn't know how to ride bike without training wheels. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why, but I think he was scared. He got a bike a few years ago that was too big for him and it just made him nervous to ride it. Well, on Christmas, we took the kids out to ride their new bikes (aka push Jordyn on hers and try to get Dylan to stop freaking out) and it didn't take long for Dylan to get the hang of it and officially learn to ride his bike! It was a "Finally!" moment that was of course filled with pride.

And last, for Dylan, we signed him up for soccer (or at least TJ was supposed to. I need to check back with him on that. lol). I know he's excited to start and it'll be good for him to get and be active and in a sport.

Jordyn

Seriously, what can I say about this 3 year old ball of energy? She is constantly keeping us on our toes. She's a smart girl and surprises us everyday with everything she learns and picks up. She is currently obsessed with Doc McStuffins and Jake and the Pirates, and loves doing puzzles.



She also just learned how to ride her bike and asks everyday to go outside and ride it. Look at her go!



Jordyn loves helping around the house, unless it's cleaning her own room. She has no desire to clean up her own mess. And the girl is convinced she's old enough for school. At least once a week, if not more, she puts on her backpack (that we bought her for her birthday because she us she "needed" it) and tells she is ready and needs to go to school. She does not like when we tell her she's not old enough. 

But truthfully, she's a pretty typical 3 year old. She's smart, sassy and lots of fun. 

Sabrina

I guess you'd like to know about me now, huh? I guess I should go back to when I lost my job last year. There just wasn't enough work to be done at my old job, and so I was laid off. I spent almost a year looking and applying for jobs. In November, I received a phone call from River Street Sweets to come in for an interview. I got the job, which was working upstairs in the Mail Order department, but it was only seasonal. I figured it was better than nothing and hoped they would find a way to keep me on. Sadly, it didn't happen but I left on good terms with them and hope to come back and work there over the summer in store and back upstairs in Mail Order next Christmas season. 

And then in January, I had an interview at an elementary school for a Title I Parent Facilitator. The interview went well and I was offered the job. It took a few weeks before I could start (if you know anything about working in a school, it's a lot of paperwork, background checks, and trying to get your transcripts). It's a part-time job, which works great for TJ's school schedule but I am going to be looking for another small part-time job just to supplement our income. I started a few weeks ago and am loving it. As a Title I Parent Facilitator, I coordinate meetings for Parents, offer resources for parents to help their child and once it's all set up, will work in the Parent Center offering a place or parents to come help their child with homework, projects or anything else they may need. In short, my goal is to get as many parents as possible involved and engaged in their child's school and education. The one down side right now, is not knowing enough yet to fully take on the role without help. The assistant principal has been doing my job all year so she has a lot to teach me, on top of her normal duties, which often get in the way of what she's trying to teach me. So sometimes, I don't feel very productive. It's not her fault and I know in time, I will be able to handle most of this on my own but right now, I'm still learning. 

Outside of school, I've picked up running more consistently. I really needed to. I've set running goals for myself. The first being to run a race every month. You can read about January's race here and February's race here. March's race is The Kilt and Kolor Run and TJ is running it with me! I'm so excited and think it will be a blast. I've already registered for my April race as well, the Big Nasty Mud Run and am partnering with a friend in my running group!


But perhaps my biggest goal will come later this year, when I run my first half marathon! I told TJ about a year ago that I was setting a goal to run a half marathon before he graduates from SCAD and since that is just one year away, it's time I get cracking on that. And that will happen in November when I run the Rock N Roll Half Marathon here in Savannah. I am SO excited and a bit nervous but confident I can do this. Early registration ends at the end of March, so I will be registering for it soon!

Aside from running and working, I'm slowly trying to get our house organized and get rid of clutter as I go. We know that depending on when and where TJ finds a job, we will be moving sometime in 2015, so the more I can do to declutter and organize now, the less stressful a move will be later.  Besides, the house just needs it. 

And that about wraps up what's been going on with us. I'm really going to try to do better about keeping this blog updated. With all the changes ahead of us, it will be tough but it will definitely be needed. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for voicing your thoughts.